Friday, July 27, 2012

Art


There is a 2 day "Art in the Park" event that started today. So much to look at and take in. Lance bought a pot, I bought a yunomi, and we bought a pastel print of a quail.

I've seen thousand dollar art in the past, but I've never seriously considered purchasing any... until today.

An Oregon artist, Tom Walsh, was there today. He's a sculptor that works primarily in bronze. He had his booth set up like a mini gallery, which was cool. Anyways, one of his pieces struck me so intensely that I seriously gazed at it and walked around it for a good 5 minutes. It was one of those pieces that you just have to experience. Tom watched me, and then made the observation that I "got it." He said that most people don't get it. They don't understand how to look at his pieces- how to experience them, but he could tell that I understood his piece. I really have no words. It was amazing. To a normal person it probably just looked like an abstract thing made of metal and was green. But, oh man. The craftsmanship and the way he was able to manipulate the bronze... Seriously amazing. I wish we had the $1100 to spend on it. I can't stop thinking about it and I will probably go "visit" it tomorrow.

It was really fun being able to share the experience with Lance. He's soooo left-brained, but I'm able to convey things to him about art that he otherwise would not realize or overlook. I was able to sit with him and help him identify just WHY he decided to purchase that specific pot. We saw hundreds today, but that was the only one he liked enough to buy.

I love art that makes you experience it. You have no choice but see and feel things and it moves you. There are subtle, and not so subtle, ways that artists are able to make the viewer react. They can make you pick up and experience a cup or pot, or they can stop you dead in your tracks, like today. You may not even know why. I love how art speaks to your subconscious and you have an actual experience. You share a connection with a piece. It is more than just an object, it imparts a thought, connotation, emotion, feeling, sensation, etc. Sure there's art that's just "pretty," but it's empty; hollow. Real art makes you experience it, feel it, and share it.

No comments:

Post a Comment