Tuesday, July 24, 2012

TMI? Don't care

Today is a big day. I just started my first "natural" period in over 6 years. Ouch. Now I remember why I was on the pill in the first place. Cramps that make me dream I'm in childbirth.
I always get really calm and chill when I get cramps. To cope, I have to do deep breathing and enter a meditative state. It's kinda cool, so I'm always sharing. Freaks out the hubby tho cuz I'm like.. breathing like I'm in labor. It's actually a very peaceful time, albeit a little painful. But I've learned pain can be calming if you approach it correctly.

Let me explain.

When you experience body-wide pain you can get in touch with a certain "rhythm" of pulses. Your brain monitors your body in electric pulses through your nerves. If you can calm yourself and accept the pain, you can tune into this. It's a strange experience. If you've had to practice pain management from a chronic condition you are probably familiar with it. When you experience pain, you can fight it, or go with it. It really comes down to accepting it as sensations in the body and separating yourself from it. You begin to understand that you don't have to fear pain, and thus, pain begins to be therapeutic. You feel the body healing, and you let it happen.

I probably sound masochistic, but I'm not. I don't like pain. But in not fearing it, and letting it happen, it makes it more manageable and less stressful. And I'm not just talking about cramps. I used to do this when I had shoulder issues too. Anyways. Thought I'd share this milestone. First "real" period in 6 years.

No comments:

Post a Comment