Wednesday, March 7, 2012

My love and hate of art history


I was a Fine Arts major for 2 years of college before I changed to Graphic Communications. So that was 4 semesters of art history. I hate history. And art history is like twice as bad. Cuz you not only have to know the who what and when, you have to know why where and what it looks like. ARGH! Well, I have found that the most useful thing I learned in school was, in fact, art history. We're currently trying to furnish our teeny apartment on a teenier budget. We started with a futon, a tv and banker boxes. Nothing else. No plates, pots, pans, bed, tables, chairs, etc. The futon was our bed and couch. We have since used my savings to buy a bed, and accumulated a cheap tv stand. In shopping for furniture Lance often would ask me to translate the rambling. I then realized I was using terms like "art deco," "mid century modern," "contemporary," "mission style," etc. And I realized he had no idea what the heck I was talking about when I would point to a chair and say "that is a mid century modern chair." So I have actually had to use the art history education in shopping for furniture and identifying our preferences for styles and shapes. DARN YOU ART HISTORY!!!!! It is cool that I'm using something from school, but it annoys me that I still remember! My art history professors were interesting, and art students use interesting terms and ways to describe something as simple as a cube. While I think it's wicked awesome I can talk about tangible items and know specifically what I like and don't like, I still hated art history.

So yes. We now are the proud owners of 2 mid century modern chairs. And our cat, Abby, approves.

No comments:

Post a Comment